Boy Survives After Swallowing Geometry Compass in Soroti

Soroti City | THE BLACK EXAMINER | A six-year-old boy named Godwin Echodu had a narrow escape from a life-threatening situation when he accidentally swallowed a geometry compass.

It was a Friday evening when Echodu returned home from the latrine, distressed and complaining of difficulty defecating, accompanied by diarrhea with blood. Concerned, his father, Geoffrey Amoret, pressed him for an explanation.

Echodu revealed that a friend had given him a part of a geometry compass to play with on Wednesday afternoon after school. Accidentally, he had swallowed it but had been too frightened to inform his parents.

Advertisement

Medical professionals later confirmed that the swallowed piece measured approximately six centimeters.

The family’s ordeal continued as Echodu retained the compass in his stomach for nearly three days, from 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 27, 2023, until around 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 30, 2023, when doctors at Joint Clinic Soroti successfully removed it.

The parents rushed Echodu to Joint Clinic-Soroti, where an X-ray revealed the compass’s presence. Dr. Emmanuel Opio and senior consultant surgeon Dr. Joseph Epodoi performed an endoscopic surgery to extract the metal safely. This minimally invasive procedure, which utilizes a camera-equipped flexible tube, allowed for a swift recovery with minimal pain and discomfort.

The local community became aware of the incident when Echodu’s parents brought him to be prayed for by Reverend Stephen Omoko at Otucopi Pentecostal Assemblies of God on a Sunday.

Dr. Epodoi, who has worked as a doctor for three decades, described this case as the first of its kind in his career. While they encounter about three cases per month of children swallowing objects like coins and bottle tops, a compass was a unique occurrence.

ALSO READ  MKU's 24th Graduation Ceremony Highlights Industry Linkages

He emphasized the fortunate outcome, explaining that the compass’s blunt end had led its path through the intestines, ultimately resting in the rectum, making it possible for removal without major surgery. Had the pointed end been leading, it could have punctured internal organs, posing a life-threatening risk necessitating surgical intervention.

END

Ad Display
This ad will close in 15 seconds
Ad
WhatsApp Follow Button

Your Page Title

The Black Examiner®.

We come to you.

Want to send us a story or have an opinion to share? Send an email to editorial@examiner.co.ug or Join Our WhatsApp CHANNEL