Kiryandongo District | THE BLACK EXAMINER | The Masindi Field Artillery Division (FAD) Court Martial has handed down a 40-year sentence to two Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) soldiers who were found guilty of murdering a civilian in Kiryandongo District.
During the court proceedings, it was revealed that Private Jacob Opio and Warrant Officer One (WO1) George Ocen, acting on the orders of a civilian named Alfred Kabubi, fatally shot Isaac Ogwang in Kankoba village, Kitwara parish, Kapondo sub-county, Kiryandongo district.
The prosecution presented its case at the Masindi FAD Court Martial, chaired by Lt Col Peter Irumba at Kapondo sub-county headquarters, stating that the trio was responsible for Ogwang’s death on September 15, 2023.
Alfred Kabubi, the civilian accomplice, was also handed a 40-year prison sentence for his involvement in the crime.
During the court hearing, the defendants, Opio, Ocen, and Kabubi, pleaded guilty and appealed for a more lenient sentence.
In delivering the verdict, Lt Col Irumba sentenced each convict to 40 years of imprisonment at Masindi government prison. He, however, advised them to exercise their right to appeal within 14 days.
In response to the ruling, Capt Geoffrey Sunday, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of Masindi Field Artillery Division, emphasized that the court martial process was conducted openly to underscore the UPDF’s commitment to justice and intolerance for criminal activities.
“We conduct the court martial in a public setting where the offense occurred to demonstrate the military’s stance against wrongdoing. This approach serves as a deterrent against the recurrence of such offenses,” stated Capt Geoffrey Sunday in an interview following the verdict.
The Black Examiner®.
We come to you.
- Business Aggrey" is a 23-year-old Ugandan journalist and Editor-in-Chief at The Black Examiner newspaper
Author's Latest Articles
- NationalFebruary 26, 2024Family Attempts to Bury Daughter at Neighbor’s Home After Fatal Accident
- NationalFebruary 26, 2024Boda Boda Rider Killed in Peaceful Demonstration Over Neglected Road in Kagadi
- BusinessFebruary 26, 2024Uganda Prisons Service Confirms Luzira Relocation for Five-Star Hotel Project
- EducationFebruary 26, 2024Kakumiro schools fret over new curriculum