Bardege-Layibi Division Member of Parliament, Ojara Mapenduzi has petitioned parliament over the increasing road accidents on Karuma bridge along the Kampala-Gulu highway.
This follows the latest incident where a truck driver lost control while at the bridge and plunged into River Nile.
The driver and his turn boy including the truck were reportedly swept away by the water and have since not been traced.
Raising a matter of national importance before plenary on Thursday afternoon, Mapenduzi demanded that construction of a new bridge be expedited to save lives and property since over 25 trucks and their occupants have plunged into the river from this spot since 2011.
In response, Works Minister, Gen Katumba Wamala said works are in the pipeline to revamp Karuma bridge.
He says discussions are ongoing with some development partners to redesign and reposition this bridge to meet the challenges of the increasing traffic on that road.
The Black Examiner®.
We come to you.
- Business Aggrey" is a 23-year-old Ugandan journalist and Editor-in-Chief at The Black Examiner newspaper
Author's Latest Articles
- NationalFebruary 20, 2024200,000 tonne hydrogen-based fertiliser project to be developed in Uganda
- AfricaFebruary 20, 2024Uganda Explores Exclusive Oil Import Deal with Tanzania
- AfricaFebruary 19, 2024Speaker Tayebwa elected to East Africa’s OACPS-EU Parliamentary Assembly Bureau
- NationalFebruary 18, 2024UNOC, the sole importer of petroleum products, clarifies its import mandate